.

Thursday, March 11, 2010

How to make cars drive carefully around you

Ok, so I've been riding my old-school mtb bike for errands around town for the last 3 weeks. I generally get 1-2 'comments' from 'helpful' motorists during these rides, even though I always stop at red lights and obey traffic signals in general.

A few days ago it was really cold during the day so I wore a full-face mtb helmet with goggles because I wanted the extra eye/ear coverage. Yea it looks strange but I didn't care. Immediately into my ride when I approached a busy street to cross - traffic stopped. When I was riding in the street, I was getting a wide berth. Motorists were generally very cautious around me and didn't do crazy left turns in front of me or anything like that.

As I sat at a red traffic light pondering this strange behaviour, a police car pulled up to me and lowered the passenger window. The officer asked: "Shouldn't you be in school?"

I guess being the size of a 14-year-old kid has it's advantages. Or maybe I ride like a 14-year-old kid...

No comments:

Full Calendar